Derrick May and Jimmy Edgar have put together a compilation called We Love Detroit, due for release in December on We Love Recordings.
May and Edgar represent two very different generations of Detroit electronic music. May became a key part of the movement's first wave in the '80s, helping to forge its steely sound both on his own and with Juan Atkins and Kevin Saunderson (the other two members of the so-called Belleville Three). Edgar didn't show up until nearly 20 years later, and when he did he broke with the tradition sounds of his predecessors, going instead for something more flamboyant and pop-influenced.
We Love Detroit shows where both artists are at now. May combines techno classics from John Beltran and Carl Craig with newer cuts from the likes of KiNK and Petar Dundov, while also nodding to new school Detroit producers like Kai Alce and Andres. Edgar's half is more contemporary, highlighting artists like fellow Hotflush artist Lando Kal and 100% Silk's Magic Tour. He pays homage to his hometown as well, with tracks from Magda, Kyle Hall and Kris Wadsworth.
CD1: Chosen by Derrick May
01. John Beltran – Synaptic Transmission
02. Yotam Avni – Pentimento
03. Petar Dundov – Distant Shores
04. KiNK – Hand Made (Dub mix)
05. Kai Alce – Power Thru Pt 3 (Mush’s Sax Dub)
06. Deep’A & Biri – Hova
07. Carl Craig – Sandstorms
08. Federico Grazzini – Nova
09. Benny Rodrigues – It’s A Spiritual Thing
10. Andres – New For U
CD2: Chosen by Jimmy Edgar
01. Jimmy Edgar – Let Yrself Be
02. Lando Kal – Clockin’
03. Jimmy Edgar – Semierotic
04. Magda – Late Night Woodward
05. Kyle Hall & Kero- Zug Island
06. Coyote Clean Up – Mount Babe Bricks
07. Noel Jackson – That You Love Me
08. Darling Farah – Body
09. Magic Touch feat. N Dawson – Niks Groove
10. Kris Wadsworth – Connection
11. Axiom Crux – When Summer Doesn’t Come
We Love Recordings will release We Love Detroit on December 3rd, 2012.