Monday 31 October 2011

Jamie Jones Interview

Pulse Radio Interview With Jamie Jones


Last October in Sydney, the Circus came to town via the infamous hedonistic party that is Circo Loco, bringing with it the one and only Jamie Jones. Since he was last in Australia around 12 months ago, Jamie has been producing some pretty heavy releases through labels like Crosstown Rebels and his very own Hot Creations, alongside winning a Best of Brit Award for his dance floor anthem 'Summertime' while holding down his residency at Circo Loco in Ibiza. Not too bad for a punk from Wales who started on a Playstation. Ladies and gentleman, it is my absolute pleasure to introduce the amazing Jamie Jones…

Pulse: When you first started mixing, did you have any idea you would make your living from being a DJ? Jamie Jones: I didn’t even think about it to be honest, I don’t remember at any point thinking about the money and career aspect, I just wanted to make and play music. It’s only when I started to actually get gigs and an agent that I started to look at it as a career.

"I was there (Circo Loco) the first time everybody did the sitting down thing on a breakdown, nobody knew what the hell was going on, but it was, without sounding too cheesy, magical."

I read somewhere you taught yourself beats and melodies on a Playstation, is this correct? If so, what game was it? Yes, I remember the last actual game I ever played on any console was Tomb Raider 1. Once I completed that the next game I bought was Music. It was a pretty simple sequencer, which had a load of drum samples and synth sounds. I just made tracks everyday after school for hours.

What kind of music came out of these earlier compositions? It was kind of progressive, a bit trancey. At the time the big records around were things like Nalin and Cane with Beach Ball. I was more into house, even then, but the sounds were pretty synthy so you were a bit limited. For example, you couldn’t sample disco like Armand Van Helden and Daft Punk were doing.

Obviously your music and studio has evolved since then, what are you using in there at the moment? Now I mainly use analogue gear, I have several synths and drum machines, including a Jupiter 8, 909, 606, 101, various Nords and Korgs which all run around a Midas Venice 32 channel desk, and a Mac Pro… Wow, geek off [laughs].


Do you have favourite software or pieces of equipment? It has to be my Jupiter 8; it’s my pride and joy. There was only 2000 ever made and it was Roland’s flagship synth, probably still is, even though they don’t make them anymore. The sounds from this thing are incredible.

Is there any rules or basics you stick to when producing? I have a formula, but I’m always looking to change that formula and do something different, so no rules really.

Recently you won the Best of British Award for Best Single with Summertime. How does that feel? Yeah, it was really cool. I mean I’m not big on awards, but readers of Dj Mag voted for this, so its nice people like my music and want to support me. It’s always good to know people are listening

Did you have any idea Summertime would be so big? Not at all, I sat on the original version on my laptop for ages, as I wasn’t sure anyone would like it. It took Clive Henry to hear it and instantly love the hook before I even played it to anyone else.

Do you have any stand out memories from Circo Loco? Wow… so many. I was there the first time everybody did the sitting down thing on a breakdown, nobody knew what the hell was going on, but it was, without sounding too cheesy, magical. The early days were super good also, 2000 to 2003; I was so young, and just going crazy every single week of the summer. It’s such an honour to be part of the team now.

What’s in the future for Jamie Jones? So many things are going on. A second solo album is almost done, a debut album as Hot Natured with Lee Foss is half done and some amazing music is coming out from new artists on my Label Hot Creations.

Finally, analogue or digital? Oh, Analogue always when possible, but digital when necessary is nothing to turn your nose up at.

No comments:

Post a Comment